Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Part-Time Senator

This morning I saw Rand Paul, Republican United States Senator-elect from Kentucky, being interviewed on television. He was asked what he planned to do with his medical practice, now that he was about to be a U.S. Senator.

He responded by urging his patients not to go to another doctor, because he was already setting appointments for Mondays and Fridays, when he expected to be back home in Kentucky.

So, that leaves Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to be in Washington.

Rand Paul, along with other tea party candidates, ran for office promising to "change Washington." He, in particular, promised to "take our government back."

Part-time, Dr. Paul? In three days a week, Doctor? You're going to change Washington and take back our government working part time as a U.S. Senator, three days a week?

My clients are Texas county elected officials. I don't know any of them who work part time. The county commissioners do not work part time. In fact, they work way more than 40 hours a week. And for less than the salary of a U.S. Senator. Way less.

Maybe you can change Washington and take back our government only working three days a week, but I'm willing to bet it takes a little more time than that to be a good United States Senator.

But, there may be some who might argue that it's a good thing that Dr. Paul will only be in Washington three days a week instead of full time.

We'll see, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. James,
    I am sure he can do more in three days than some of the dip-thongs we have there have done in two years.

    aka denali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dip-thongs?

    (laugh)

    Well, like I said, we'll see.

    Some will hope you're right. Some will desperately hope you're wrong.

    We'll see.

    Oh, and good to see you here on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two sides to this.

    a. I hope this means that he is not going to be a career politician as I think none should be.

    b. On the other hand, I would hope he would spend more time on this. On the same note, I think they are all only working three days a week as a rule now. I'm not happy if this is the case.

    ReplyDelete